Unburied Papyrus

Embroiled in the enigma of existence in more strange & unsettling times, one must hold onto the miracle or risk becoming one of the walking dead. These entries are a poor approximation of my life & the wonders that pass through my spirit. If I could communicate properly how much I love you all & assign a tireless list of evolving names that fit I would, instead I offer these random reflections.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Ghost Learns How to Speak

There is special providence in the falling of a sparrow.
-Shakespeare

So, here I stand another victim of my own willingness to neglect. That is to say a little lonely and a less fulfilled than I would be if I allowed myself more human contact. Though I rarely if ever contact any of you, if you listen to how I speak to you when I do you know how much I care. Many of you well know Amy and I broke up. Sad as it is, this was necessary. For reasons I don't need to dip into in this arena I couldn't see us working in the long run. Do I love her? Yes. The onus is on me. If I felt differently I do believe she would allow us to be together. Chemistry, compatibility, happiness in so many variable forms ... What I'm trying to say is that I couldn't have answered her needs enough, nor she mine.

At least this time the woman I loved didn't lay there like a corpse after asking me to "turn her on." I remember struggling through my revulsion at Rachael's cruelty---for love, trying. Pain, making the empathic exchange impossible. Rachael felt like the moist slats of wood on the boardwalk when I was a kid. On a cold, rainy northwest day the saltwater Sound smelled fetid. My small bare feet padded the damp but not slick boards as I tried to shake off the cold, and my own cold, on the way to a fuller view of the day's majesty but the gray pall hung over the mountains and the birds weren't pealing cries of joy.

This time a war didn't follow quick on the break-ups heels but another martyr went to rest in the name of peace. http://cpt.org/memorial/tomfox/eulogies.htm Last time it was Rachel Corrie, whom my most vivid memory of is the time she took our couch.

Helping her carry it out (she was pretty buff for being as thin as she was) I was doing my best not to notice that she wasn't wearing a bra and I could see down her shirt every time she went to set the beast of a couch down. She was so kind, when pried at she showed a remarkable mind capable of compassion and communicating. I was too immature then to really connect with her. Sure we got along fine and had some nice fireside conversations at potlucks laughing and ruminating but Justin had a huge crush on her so I was wary of getting too close. A couple of times I had gotten along well with Justin's love-interests and it seemed to be bothersome. After the way Annie acted towards me post breaking up with Aaron there was no way I was going to get very close to one of my good roommate/friend's ladyfriends.

Well, I suppose I should wrap up. No gargantuan spilling forth from me today. If I have skipped out on you lately when I was supposed to call or attend a show or whatever. Sorry. I've been in a weird way. Almost at peace for me in that relative way, thinking about moral relativism and buying local and the capitalist economy as the fireseed of all this commodified bloodshed and ignorant vanity. Still, the spring is enchanting. Birds and trees and lilacs. The writing's been good. Aaron is thick with ladyfriend. The Flaming Lips have been on constant spin in my house. Everyday I walk and walk strengthening those old walking bones like a mountain pilgrim going to rest in a cave or see a temple emerge around the bend of a pass. I have a songlist mixtape of what my current mood is that I'll post soon along with an excerpt from my play.

Love you all. For all of us, work with joy on eliminating the dehumanizing aspects of the collective we.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger bava said…

    It's nice to come by here and see your thoughts, glimpses of your life. It's been a long time since we've spoken or seen each other, but all the same, I always consider you my good friend, and I hope that you are well.

    You are always welcome to come visit, all the same. :)

    Love ya,

    Ahniwa

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Amos said…

    "Who shall say what prospect one life offers to another? Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
    --Thoreau

    There is a difference between looking through someone else's eyes and being fooled by your own self-assurance that you "see" people. Intuition and empathy are not enough.

    I'm saddened that you didn't take the chance to get to know me at all... To love an idea is not to love a person. I wish that I had seen sooner. I feel like a ghost and a fool, and I am neither. It is not only you who is hurt by your neglect, but those who you neglect, though know that I am still glad to call you friend. I care about you, and wish you well, but please know that honesty is what I value most in communication with others, and I don’t hesitate to share it with you.

    I believe that you are equipped to be a better friend and more real than your self-involvement lets you be. I hope that you step out from behind it.

    On another note entirely: I am smiling and joyful to know that you are well, putting pains to rest and rising to this glorious season--- Are you starting a garden?? It sounded like the community garden spaces to be had were plentiful in NE Portland!

    Sails, ink & bourbon,
    Amos

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    As I recall you did way more talking than me & I listened. I know many stories about you & Rob & the marine & Ken & many other people I have never met. How many stories do you know about me & Rachael & Karen & Lauren & Jen & my friends? I wouldn't call that "not getting to know you at all." I apologize if I sound defensive. I appreciate your heart but please don't hurt me with overbroad statements. Don't think I'm not hurt that we didn't work out. I never wanted to see you cry like that. I love you & ideas. That is not hard to see. Sure, everyone is equipped to be more than they are & I sure could rise up out of my neglect. I hope I do. If you feel like a ghost & a fool then you are aware you carry that range inside you. We are all in all in all of us. My self-involvement is selfish in a way but I sacrifice a lot for the collective by bending my will towards the creation of (what I hope will be) great art. If I fail to create pieces that move many people my constant attempt will rest with a certain degree of veracious valor. No, I'm not starting a garden. I've decided to volunteer for an arboretum & Poetry NW.

    Love you,

    Jason

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Amos said…

    Thanks for the response.
    I'm not throwing words around to hurt you. I listened and watched and loved what you would share of yourself. You wanted your distance, and I gave it, and so much time and patience. Yes, I told stories, but if how you just mentioned them is all that you heard and those are the only ones that stuck in your mind, then you weren't listening. I just wish that you had let me know sooner that you didn't think or feel that it was ever going to work between us because I wouldn't have put my own heart through so much. That is what hurts. It seems as though my presence meant so little to you whereas you led me to believe that it meant more (aches like being lied to). Balance, we did not achieve, my friend, I wish you well.
    - Amos

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jason,
    [If I have skipped out on you lately when I was supposed to call or attend a show or whatever. Sorry. I've been in a weird way.]

    You have been doing this for a very long time. Life is short and times are hard. SO FUCKING WHAT! If you don't share yourself with your friends and community you're wasting your time, and ours. You say you care, you say you're sorry but it's the same story every six months. Your follow up consist of broken dates and unreturned calls. If you called us we would be there for you, can you say you would return the favor?

    War, and terrorism, torture, bullshit, fascism, corruption, natural disasters, death, lies and whole bunch of awful things happen every day every second. IT WILL EAT YOU! If you let it. It’s not like your friends are blind to these things, we write and talk and process just like you. We care about you and you’re being a bastard, your apologies are half assed and if your intentions are in the right place we wouldn’t know it because it’s been a while since you had a real interaction with us.


    Snap out of it, I’m on my way to Portland and I want you in our community when I get there!

    Marlys

     

Post a Comment

<< Home